Installation: Firefox & addons settings and bookmark lost!

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Installation: Firefox & addons settings and bookmark lost!

Postby witrak() » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 am

I have installed LastPass (using LastPass Universal Windows Installer, 32bit version, selected on the page https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php) on my WinServer2008. During installation process I have selected to not create account (as it can be done at any time later) and to not import data from Firefox (I didn't have any data in the Firefox Password Manager).

After installation I realized I don't have previously installed Firefox addons (except a few), I've lost all settings of Firefox options and also settings of remaining addons (e.g. NoScript setting for some hundred sites), and I've lost sessions stored in Session Manager and hundreds of my bookmarks!
In fact bookmarks which I can see are from Windows admin account.

First, I don't expect it is normal (reputable software do not do such things without explicitly stated warnings), and there is no related warning in F.A.Q.
Second, installation process description doesn't say anything about mangling with addons, especially about removing them. Nor it says that installation is one way process (no backup of the data to be removed).

So my question is: Is there a method for recovery ?

witrak()
witrak()

Re: Installation: Firefox & addons settings and bookmark los

Postby witrak() » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 am

1. Fortunately, after today's FF update (to 3.6.11) bookmarks are back :-)
2. After examination it seems installation removed only inactive addons.
3. History, saved sessions [open windows (>20) and tabs (>100)] are lost.

4. As additional info for others who expect reasonable :-) behavior from installers: I have started LastPass Windows Installer using Run As Administrator and have selected the admin account, which has been later used by installer to wrongly set my bookmarks.

5. Kind request to authors of LastPass: is it possible to add to the "manual" some normal, written descriptions ? Some of us - users - are still used to read (for example books, newspapers and manuals, you know...), and prefer reading, not watching TV ;-)
And of course add some warnings to the installer screens, please...

witrak()
witrak()

Return to Windows Installer Questions