How do I install LastPass on IE9?

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: How do I install LastPass on IE9?

Postby JohnRich » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Although I can get the LastPass toolbar to show up, as soon as I go into its Preferences and select the "Use Only Command Bar Button" option, the LP toolbar disappears but the LP button doesn't show up. Has anyone figured out a way to have only the LP button without the LP toolbar? I'm using the IE9 RC beta.
JohnRich

Postby brantgurga » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Make sure you are only hiding the toolbar, not disabling it. The toolbar still needs to be enabled for the button to work as far as I know.
brantgurga

Postby JohnRich » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:30 pm

brantgurga Wrote:Make sure you are only hiding the toolbar, not disabling it. The toolbar still needs to be enabled for the button to work as far as I know.

I went into IE's Manage Add-ons, re-enabled the LP Toolbar, which caused the LP Toolbar to appear, but as soon as I went into LP Preferences and chose the button option, nothing pertaining to LP was left on IE's bars.
JohnRich

Postby CaptnJim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 am

When you select the 'Use Command Button Only" option, it is working just like it does on IE8. The button is being added to the 'Command Bar" so if you enable the command bar then you'll have the button.

But mr/mrs Lastpass developer, what we (the users) are looking for is for the button to appear next to the Home/Favs/Options buttons on the default, no toolbar layout. Can that be done or has MS locked out developers from that area?
CaptnJim

Postby brantgurga » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 am

I don't believe that is a supported extensibility point. There may be hackish ways to make buttons show up there, but it will likely be unstable if possible and likely to break with updates to IE.
brantgurga

Postby JohnRich » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

CaptnJim Wrote:When you select the 'Use Command Button Only" option, it is working just like it does on IE8. The button is being added to the 'Command Bar" so if you enable the command bar then you'll have the button.

But mr/mrs Lastpass developer, what we (the users) are looking for is for the button to appear next to the Home/Favs/Options buttons on the default, no toolbar layout. Can that be done or has MS locked out developers from that area?

I don't want to enable IE's command bar because that will take away from the limited vertical screen space on my laptop (only 768 pixels vertical). I want the LP button to appear just like it does in the Chrome browser.
JohnRich

Postby JohnRich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 am

I found a simple workaround for the problem of not seeing the LP command button in IE9. Right-click on the web page, and you can select LastPass from the context menu.
JohnRich

Postby dgg4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Let me add my voice for a better Lastpass toolbar for IE9 - one that doesn't add a whole menu/toolbar row for just one button.

IE9 is quite a nifty browser and they've obviously tried to maximize the useful screen space for the web page. It just looks silly to have a whole toolbar for access to just one - Lastpass - button.

thx!
dgg4

Postby ninac15 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm

JohnRich Wrote:Although I can get the LastPass toolbar to show up, as soon as I go into its Preferences and select the "Use Only Command Bar Button" option, the LP toolbar disappears but the LP button doesn't show up. Has anyone figured out a way to have only the LP button without the LP toolbar? I'm using the IE9 RC beta.

same here :cry:
ninac15

Postby akwalker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

This is frustrating. I have tried all of the suggestions. I have LastPass and it's toolbar enabled in the addons manager but when I right click on the toolbar area, I have no option for showing the LP toolbar. When I show the command bar, there is no LP button. I tried to customize the command toolbar, thinking maybe there would be a button I could add for LP, but there is not. I have LastPass in my right click menu, but nothing happens when I select it. I cannot use it to log in to any of my websites using IE9. I also would like a button like in Chrome or FireFox. I have heard good things about IE9 so if I'm to use it, I'll have to ditch LP and find another password manager if I can't get it working soon.
akwalker

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Installer Questions