Installer not working on Win2k

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Installer not working on Win2k

Postby hazmatte » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 am

When I try to install the latest 1.36 version of lastpass.exe, I get the error message:

LastPass could not write to your hard drive.

I checked the directory and there is no LOCAL~1 [nor corresponding long name] subdirectory.

Seems like the installer is trying to extract files to a temp directory that doesn't exist.

This is a Windows 2000 box at work.

Previous installer versions worked fine.

Any thoughts?
hazmatte

Re: Installer not working on Win2k

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:56 am

hazmatte Wrote:When I try to install the latest 1.36 version of lastpass.exe, I get the error message:

LastPass could not write to your hard drive.

I checked the directory and there is no LOCAL~1 [nor corresponding long name] subdirectory.

Seems like the installer is trying to extract files to a temp directory that doesn't exist.

Pretty odd -- could you go to that Temp directory to see if there's any files there? Then can you clean up all files there and see if you can then install? If that's what caused it I'll have a fix for the next version.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby hazmatte » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:41 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:
Pretty odd -- could you go to that Temp directory to see if there's any files there? Then can you clean up all files there and see if you can then install? If that's what caused it I'll have a fix for the next version.

Thanks,

Joe

Well, as I stated, the directory structure it's trying to extract the installer files to doesn't exist, so I'm not sure which Temp directory I should be emptying.
hazmatte

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:49 pm

hazmatte Wrote:Well, as I stated, the directory structure it's trying to extract the installer files to doesn't exist, so I'm not sure which Temp directory I should be emptying.

So far we've learned that my reading comprehension skills are low at midnight. :D

So the directory is actually just munged, if you should have:

c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp

If you don't have that it'd be interesting to know, if you do please try to clean it and reinstall and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby hazmatte » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm

OK, cleaned out the temp directory and re-ran installer and it worked as expected. I think it may have had something with the way my company implements roaming network profiles.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Joe.

-m
hazmatte

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:01 pm

hazmatte Wrote:OK, cleaned out the temp directory and re-ran installer and it worked as expected. I think it may have had something with the way my company implements roaming network profiles.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Joe.

It's helpful to know because we can do something about this issue: we'll prepend something random to the front of the filename anytime we use the temp directory at all to help avoid this for others going forward.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Return to Windows Installer Questions