why the windows installer?

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

why the windows installer?

Postby norflopsc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

I just am asking for clarification or explanation about this:

Windows Installer for LastPass, or just the browser extensions? Can we just choose the extensions and not install LastPass on any computer? Why need the Windows Installer in case the extensions will work in browser? We need to make an account and log in anyway.

A couple years ago I installed LastPass software ONTO a Windows computer - JUST ONE COMPUTER. I have since then, added the browser extension to google chrome of another computer but NOT installed the LastPass software to it. The browser extensions work on BOTH computers.

Now, do we need to install any LastPass Windows software to ANY computer, or not? What is the advantage to installing the SOFTWARE?

Clarify. Explain please.
norflopsc

Re: why the windows installer?

Postby maxwelloau835 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 am

browser plugins cover most web fillins and access to common passwords from lastpass cloud storage or form fillins. If you want to copy and paste with a timed copy and paste protection and expiry then the browser needs the binary which is installed by the lastpass installer.

Check browser plugin, more options, about lastpass to see the binary state.
also from the lastpass manual.

The 'binary' component of the browser plugin controls a few LastPass features:
1. Autologoff on browser close (LastPass Icon > Preferences)
2. Autologoff on browser idle (LastPass Icon > Preferences)
3. Share login state between browsers (LastPass Icon > Preferences > Advanced)
4. Allows fingerprint authentication: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security- ... ngerprint/
5. Allows attachments to Secure Notes: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/features/secure-notes/
6. Copy Username / Copy Password buttons (with the exception for Chrome where Binary is no longer needed for the options to show).
7. Copy Password button enable for secure Password Generator
8. Allows importing/exporting of data
9. An added layer of protection with additional encryption at the OS level
10. Import from Chrome, Safari, and Opera browser password managers
maxwelloau835

Postby norflopsc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm

maxwelloau...

You tried to explain, but I do not understand.

The 'binary' component of the browser plugin controls a few LastPass features:
1. Autologoff on browser close (LastPass Icon > Preferences)
2. Autologoff on browser idle (LastPass Icon > Preferences)
3. Share login state between browsers (LastPass Icon > Preferences > Advanced)
4. Allows fingerprint authentication: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security- ... ngerprint/
5. Allows attachments to Secure Notes: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/features/secure-notes/
6. Copy Username / Copy Password buttons (with the exception for Chrome where Binary is no longer needed for the options to show).
7. Copy Password button enable for secure Password Generator
8. Allows importing/exporting of data
9. An added layer of protection with additional encryption at the OS level
10. Import from Chrome, Safari, and Opera browser password managers

I do not understand what that means.

I know I have a LastPass account. I put the EXTENSION into chrome browser on a new machine, without installing the LastPass Windows installer; I then am able to sign in through the extension on the browser and lastpass fills in the login information for any of my added login sites and lastpass extension signs me in, with or without an extra button click. So what is missing without installing the Windows software? Could a user simply do without this Windows installer, create a LastPass account, go to chrome web store, take the extension, and then use it; and do so on whatever computer and browser he likes? I believe I have done this, ON TWO MORE COMPUTERS, and the lastpass extensions still do their job. I'm just dealing with websites and email, if that helps in any explanations. Other forums, other participation sites, and some webmail sites.
norflopsc

Postby jonat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:43 pm

The "binary component" is something that can't be installed as part of a browser extension. Also, the Windows installer adds the extension for all installed and supported browsers at once.
jonat

Postby norflopsc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am

jonat Wrote:The "binary component" is something that can't be installed as part of a browser extension. Also, the Windows installer adds the extension for all installed and supported browsers at once.

I just took a careful look at the installation I made a few years ago of LastPass on the one and only computer with the Windows install. There are a few items which seem to lead only to web pages. One of them is for Help and another one is for Vault. I guess then that is basically what is really installed onto the computer. Just those. No other program features. So the understanding I have is that the Windows Installer just gives us a couple of web pages from the LastPass website, and allowed for making the extensions available to the browsers on the computer. That's All?

I'm still wondering if I could have simply done without making this Windows install. Then simply create an account on the website, and then separately downloaded the needed extension for each browser; and that would have been enough.

Am I still missing something? If I am, can someone help me to get into my head what I may not yet understand?

Laptop, Toshiba Satellite
Windows Vista, s.p.2
Security & Protection: Norton Security v22.12.1.15
Favored Installed Browers: Opera v36, Pale Moon v27,
Other browsers avaialbe: Slimjet v11, Comodo Ice Dragon v52, Firefox v56, Internet Explorer v9
norflopsc

Postby jonat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm

There is a lot installed on your computer, but what you found was the shortcut to the vault that opens in a web browser. There's a lot of JavaScript underneath it. Each browser puts its extensions in different places. If you used the Windows Installer you will also have C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass with the binary component among other things.
jonat

Postby norflopsc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:39 pm

A more detailed look at the installation on Windows Vista, done about 3 years ago (2 years ago?):

I only find these:

The subfolder is C:\Program Files\LastPass

The files there are these:

com.lastpass.nplastpass.json
lastpass.exe
LastPassBroker.exe
lpchrome.crx
nplastpass.dll
nplastpass.exe
WindBioStandalone.exe
wlandecrypt.exe

Also found a AppData\LocalLow\LastPass subfolder with several files and a few other subfolders.

LastPass is also working (extensions) on the same computer in browsers FireFox 52.6ESR, Comodo Ice Dragon 52, Pale Moon 27.8, and Opera 36.
norflopsc

Postby jonat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 am

On my current system, C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass has 669 files in 10 folders. There is nothing in ProgramFiles\LastPass.
jonat

Postby davidostfarley696 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 am

I was able to repeat the algorithm for LastPass for Chrome full version, but for this case I just had time to find installation instructions and did not need another computer.
davidostfarley696

Return to Windows Installer Questions