X64 IE8 Win7 missing reg entry

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: X64 IE8 Win7 missing reg entry

Postby WEBPC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am

JoeSiegrist Wrote:Can you try https://lastpass.com/lastpass_x64pre.exe and let us know how it goes?

I installed the above after rebooting and logging in as an Admin user.
Once installed I rebooted and logged in as a normal user IE8 64bit now works, thanks!
Antony
WEBPC

Postby Jonno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Well, I should mention that it works fine in Firefox, so that should rule out a number of issues. My IE8 is in a company environment and therefore I cannot change "Trusted Sites". Again, the toolbar button appears but just doesn't do anything. What browser settings are necessary to make the button's code run? Maybe it's a security setting issue....
Jonno

Postby sameer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 pm

hi Jonno,

It sounds like an ActiveX / Toolbar security setting.
I definitely can't reproduce this behaviour and I have more or less the identical setup.

Can you install another toolbar (eg: Google Toolbar, or other) without issue?
If yes, is there any difference between settings for it and LastPass?
sameer
Site Admin

Postby Jonno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Security setting for Tools | Internet Options | Security for the "Internet" zone is set in IE to Medium-High, where unsigned ActiveX controls will not be downloaded. Protected mode box is checked as enabled. These settings are managed via Group Policy and cannot be changed by end users or even local admins. Are Lastpass ActiveX controls signed? If not, that would be the issue. Lastpass also cannot be added to Trusted Sites zone as again, that is managed. Thanks.
Jonno

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Jonno Wrote:Are Lastpass ActiveX controls signed? If not, that would be the issue. Lastpass also cannot be added to Trusted Sites zone as again, that is managed.

They are signed...
JoeSiegrist

Postby sameer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 am

Jonno,

Can you install other toolbars without issue?
Specifically, can you try to install both the Google Toolbar and Ask Toolbar - do they work?
sameer
Site Admin

Postby Jonno » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi, I tried installing Google toolbar. The green progress bar completed, but the install seemed to stall for a minute or so, and then I got a browser screen that said that the toolbar had completed installing correctly...however the toolbar is not displayed in IE8. TOOLS | TOOLBARS doesn't show it as being there either. Control Panel | Programs and Features shows it installed, but no size or version info in those columns. It uninstalled without errors.

Ask toolbar installation doesn't complete. After the 2nd Run...it displays the Ask logo in the taskbar for a few seconds and then the box that says 1. Click run in the window that appears 2. Click "run" again in the next window remains on the screen. If I close the window, I'm back on the http://sp.ask.com/toolbar/install/web/ask/download.php screen. Control panel | Programs and Features does not show the toolbar as installed. (CCLEANER moped up the remains.)

So, apparently there is something else security-wise that is stopping these from installing. Event logs only show error with Ask toolbar install, not Google toolbar. Error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action vb_os64bit script eror - 2147024894, WshShell.RegRead: Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\Software|clients\StartMenuInternet\". Line 16, Column 3.

Hope this helps.
Jonno

Postby sameer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm

hi Jonno,

Yes. So this tells me that there is some kind of security configuration, group policy restriction, or other that is preventing you from installing ActiveX controls to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. So I doubt there is anything we can do at this time to work around this.

In the future, we'll be experimenting with new features in IE8 that allow installation of ActiveX controls without requiring Admin privileges - which might potentially also work around the issue you are seeing as well.
sameer
Site Admin

Postby Lissa345 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks for the detailed bug report.
We've been able to reproduce this and are working on a fix.
We'll post back to this forum thread when it's ready.
Lissa345

Postby sameer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 am

Lissa,

We initially were able to recreate the issue and then fixed it.
After releasing the fix, we can no longer recreate this issue.

Thanks
sameer
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Installer Questions