LastPass Toolbar in IE 8

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: LastPass Toolbar in IE 8

Postby brantgurga » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:41 am

If outright checking LastPass among the toolbars isn't working, I suggest disabled all add-ons except LastPass and see how that works out for you...not permanently, but as a diagnostic step. Perhaps you have addons interfering with each other.
brantgurga

Postby mgs1517 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 am

I clicked on the tools drop down and then the Manage Add-ons option. I disabled all add-ons including LastPass which I then enabled again. No change in result.

I'm not sure if this is important, but the "LastPass" add-on is in the Unavailable list of add-ons. (The other two, "LastPass Browser Help Object" and the "LastPass Toolbar" add-ons are not.)

If you have any other thoughts, keep them coming! I really appreciate the help.

Side note, why the installer and importer fail? Would this have anything to do with IE or more likely a system setting or utility?
mgs1517

Postby brantgurga » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:24 am

Capturing a trace with Process Monitor might help diagnose what's going on with the importer and installer. I'm not sure what can cause an add-on to show as unavailable. Maybe the registry entries are there but the file isn't? In %ProgramFiles%\LastPass do you see files like LPBar.dll and LPIEHome.ocx?
brantgurga

Postby mgs1517 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:43 pm

I ran a Process Manager I downloaded from CNet. I execute the file and then attempted to run LastPass Importer. (Please keep in mind I've never use a program like this and would not consider myself advanced in any use of my computer.)

The last entry that appeared to be related to LastPass was called "lsass.exe" and was a close file operation. The path was .....\application data\Microsoft\Protect\ and then what appeared to be a file folder with a name of random numbers and letters.

The next entry was an IE 8 RegCloseKey operation. The file name was in a Microsoft securiy folder entitled Antiphishing.

I'm not sure if these are the relevant processes...

The two files you referred to are in the LastPass program folder.

Just a thought, although I don't use Firefox, would it be worth downloading to see if the LastPass toolbar worked? This would determine if it is IE or my computer, correct?

Thanks again!
mgs1517

Postby brantgurga » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 pm

You can try the Firefox add-on. It works on a different technology than the IE add-on that in my opinion is a bit less error prone.
If the process monitor you used lets you export the activity, you might send it to support at lastpass.com and see what they make of it.
brantgurga

Postby FrankP999 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 am

I am having this issue with the toolbar notifying me of an update. Installing the toolbar completes sucessfully but I keep getting the notice. I use Internet Explorer 8
FrankP999

Postby schmidtj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:15 am

FrankP999 Wrote:I am having this issue with the toolbar notifying me of an update. Installing the toolbar completes sucessfully but I keep getting the notice. I use Internet Explorer 8
Same here. Prompted to update Lastpass, says install is successfull but after IE8 on Win 7 (64bit) get prompted tup update LP Toolbar again. About says 1.69.0 Sept 29th. Firefox update seems to have worked OK.
schmidtj

Previous

Return to Windows Installer Questions