Authenticator (Windows) question

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Authenticator (Windows) question

Postby compositor489 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi,

I don't know if I am in the correct forum but I have installed the Authenticator app on my Windows Phone and it is registered under the lastpass website and in my Vault.

I use SMS messages for Facebook so no one can log in without my phone but when I went to log in, LastPass asked me to "Enable" the Authenticator for Facebook but when I went to the app on my phone, there was no 6-digit code.

I really have no idea what this is for or how it is meant to save me time because I thought all my 6-digit codes were meant to come through the one app, rather than as SMS messages.

In LastPass Authenticator, I can see a field for issuer, Email and User Secret but there is no documentation about what these fields are for so while Facebook have not provided a QR code I have no idea what to enter.

Hope someone can help.
compositor489

Re: Authenticator (Windows) question

Postby jonat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:56 am

Facebook has its own system that, as far as I know, requires using the Facebook app to see the codes. I don't think they use the system that Authenticator is part of.
jonat

Postby compositor489 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi jonat,

Thank you for replying with that information.

For some reason I am being prompted to Enable Lastpass for Facebook, why exactly I am not sure if it can't be used anyway but luckily I can switch it off.

Another thing, why is the Lastpass Authenticator constantly generating codes if they can't be used to log into my vault?
compositor489

Postby jonat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't know - I tried LastPass Authenticator when it first came out, decided I didn't like it and went back to Google Authenticator.

Can you post a link to a screenshot showing the error message? You'll have to upload it to imgur.com or similar and link it here. I am having trouble envisioning what you are seeing. With what app/browser did you log in to FB and get this prompt?
jonat

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:29 pm

If you are manually entering a code from a screen that looks like this, then that is not the correct one: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/wp-conten ... 6x1024.png

The six digit time based passwords are accessed from the account listing panel. That's what you use if entering a code manually: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/wp-conten ... 6x1024.png
jpenny84

Postby Gisela » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 am

Please try to follow the instructions here https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=10532.
This will help you enable Facebook with LastPass Authenticator.
Gisela

Return to Windows Installer Questions