Installer is not usable on high DPI displays

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Installer is not usable on high DPI displays

Postby FlawedDesign » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:02 pm

On my 4k display the installer is unusable. The Window is tiny and un-resizable even with a resize hack I have in Windows, but the content scales to the DPI so most of it is out of bounds and cannot be read or accessed. If you memorize the installer layout and try really hard you may be able to get past logging into your account, but you can't really "finish" the installation. I ended up just installing the addon the old fashion way for Firefox, but it would be nice if the installer was updated from the dark ages.
FlawedDesign

Re: Installer is not usable on high DPI displays

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Try temporarily adjusting your screen scaling to 100%.
jpenny84

Postby FlawedDesign » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 pm

jpenny84 Wrote:Try temporarily adjusting your screen scaling to 100%.

Since I have it installed I'm not going to even try and test that to see if it works. On a 15" screen 100% DPI @ 3840 x 2160 is virtually unusable and would mess up my entire desktop layout among other minor things. As it is I have to use my glasses to use this computer for more precise work (which doesn't happen on a 1920 x 1080 screen of the same size at 100% scaling, to give you a reference to how small things are already at 175%). Even if that worked, it wouldn't be a solution, at best it would be an inconvenient work around. Making simple installers is really not that hard. I don't even understand why they bother having you sign into your account in the installer, it simply installs a fresh copy on all your browsers and has you log back in again.
FlawedDesign

Postby dmitrijLP » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:53 pm

The new installer has not yet been pushed into the production, but for high DPI screens please try the following release - https://lastpass.com/lastpass_x64pre.exe
dmitrijLP

Postby FlawedDesign » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:13 pm

I did not actually preform an installation using the new installer yet (maybe at a later date), however just from running it and tweaking the settings I can tell already that it is far better than the existing one, and looks fine on my high DPI display. I'll get around to finish setting up my Win 10 virtual machine and I'll run it through some tests for you guys if you'd like.
FlawedDesign

Return to Windows Installer Questions