Installed LP no errors, but no joy

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Installed LP no errors, but no joy

Postby joe7pak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

Greets -
I installed LP on my WinXP sp3 box, FF 3.5.3 and IE8, with no errors. I opened up IE in order to activate the LP toolbar, but the toolbar was listed nowhere. I opened up FF and saw no indications of LP anywhere, so I installed the addon separately, successfully. But I don't know what to do about IE8. Any ideas?

Bill
joe7pak

Re: Installed LP no errors, but no joy

Postby joe7pak » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:13 pm

All -

Well, I guess I got my money's worth. Who wants to use IE anyway?

Bill
joe7pak

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:47 pm

joe7pak Wrote:All -

Well, I guess I got my money's worth. Who wants to use IE anyway?

Bill

Are you using IE 8-64 bit instead of 32 bit? What OS? Is it listed in Tools -> Manage Addons?
JoeSiegrist

Postby joe7pak » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, per my first message, I'm using Win XP SP3. I suppose there is a (practically unusable) 64 bit version, but I am using the 32 bit edition, hence 32 bit IE8. LastPass is not anywhere in the dialog presented by "Tools -> ManageAddons".

Bill
joe7pak

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 pm

joe7pak Wrote:Well, per my first message, I'm using Win XP SP3. I suppose there is a (practically unusable) 64 bit version, but I am using the 32 bit edition, hence 32 bit IE8. LastPass is not anywhere in the dialog presented by "Tools -> ManageAddons".

Can you send the email you used to sign up to support@lastpass.com and if you didn't select "Help LastPass by sharing debugging information" could you do that and try again (so we can get some additional information)
JoeSiegrist

Postby joe7pak » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 am

Do you mean the email I received after I signed up to support?

I will try a reinstall and select "share debugging info".
joe7pak

Postby joe7pak » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:56 am

I attempted a reinstall of LastPass. I only selected IE, selected to replace the password manager, selected to share debugging info. Here's the error I received:

________________________________________________________________________________________
We could not install the IE plugin!
Please ask your system administrator to run this program with administrator privileges to get the IE Plugin.
If you already have Firefox installed we will still be able to setup that plugin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have full administrator privileges on this machine.

There was no indication, when playing with IE, that anything was installed.
joe7pak

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

joe7pak Wrote:I attempted a reinstall of LastPass. I only selected IE, selected to replace the password manager, selected to share debugging info. Here's the error I received:

The only error we see is:
121 sec : error : Failed to register LPBar.dll

Considering you're admin, we're guessing there must be some kind of anti-virus / anti-addon type program running -- is it possible to disable anything and try again?
JoeSiegrist

Postby joe7pak » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 am

Okay, it is now successfully installed on IE.

Here was the issue: here at work, we have SpySweeper installed on our machines by our IT department. Every time the LastPass IE software was installed, SpySweeper would remove it. Even though I have administrative privileges on the machine, I don't have privileges over stuff installed by the IT weenies. So, they disabled the "BHO Shield" feature of SpySweeper, I installed LP, and they turned the "BHO Shield" feature back on.

Life is good.

Thank you for your ( belated ) help.
joe7pak

Return to Windows Installer Questions