Can't Access Account or Install LP Software

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Postby kshp22758 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:29 am

Last edited by kshp22758 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kshp22758

Postby kshp22758 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:41 am

Yesterday I had to put a new hard disk - due to a disk failure - in my computer and reinstall Windows 8.1, and on the same I day started using a new broadband router as I have recently changed my broadband supplier, the router presumably giving me a new IP address.

I first installed the Firefox Lastpass plugin and tried to access my account but received this message: "LastPass doesn't recognize this device or you are at a new location. Please check your email to grant access to your new device or location."

I cannot access my email account because the password is secured within the vault and is unintelligible and thus impossible to remember. I have had to create a new email account and a new Lastpass account in order to contact support and post on this forum. (Incidentally, this is my second post because the first one I submitted didn't show up the site and I've had to resubmit it). I'm also posting here because I've noticed that users complain that it takes an age for support to reply, especially if you have a free account, like me.

I then tried to install the software (x64, via the Lastpass site as mine is a x64 system) onto my computer but repeatedly received this message: "we could not connect to the internet. Please check your internet settings"

My internet connection is fine. It's only the Lastpass software that can't connect.

After googling the problem, I then tried uninstalling the add-on and the software and then installing the x86 version, which worked, but I could still not access my account via the reinstalled plugin or via your main login page, receiving this message again: "LastPass doesn't recognize this device or you are at a new location. Please check your email to grant access to your new device or location."

I then tried installing pocket, but also received the "lastpass we could not connect to the internet. "

This makes no sense whatsoever as I had just installed the software, which had also just detected my new broadband router's password and added it to my vault. You'd think that once installed, my device (a laptop, and my only computer) would be accepted and I could sign into my account. Thinking that there may have been some kind of error while installing the software, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the x86 version and got this again: "lastpass we could not connect to the internet. " I then uninstalled that, tried the x64 version again, but with the same results. I have also tried other suggestions, such as turning off my antivirus, changing internet explorer options so that that it accepts all cookies, but nothing has worked.

As you can imagine, I'm getting pretty annoyed. What is the point in having a password manager when I can't even access my account from another computer after putting in the correct details? This is one of the reasons I chose Lastpass: so I could still login to my numerous accounts from other computers when I am away from home. This is causing me a great deal of inconvenience as there are some sites that I need to login to and use on a daily basis, so suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
kshp22758

Re: Can't Access Account or Install LP Software

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:39 am

jpenny84

Postby kshp22758 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 am

jpenny84 Wrote:See FAQ on email verification: https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=9222

Great, thanks. Now have access to email and new IP validated.

However, still unable to install Lastpass software on PC. Suggestions?
kshp22758

Postby rothstem434 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 pm

I had the same problem. It turned out to be related to some issue with a VPN I had set up for work. I solved it by going into the "Connections" tab under "Internet Options", where fiddling around with proxy settings by changing things to "automatic" fixed it. I am not an expert in this, but I thought this might help you. Good luck.
rothstem434

Return to Windows Installer Questions