Dealing with Old Passwords

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Dealing with Old Passwords

Postby leushino » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm new to the Last Pass program so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. It's a simple question really. I have a couple of dozen sites that I visit requiring passwords. In general I use just a couple of them due to my lousy memory. Obviously I'd like to change this. How do I go about doing it? I can understand if I am setting up a New account but what does one do for an old account?
leushino

Re: Dealing with Old Passwords

Postby drew » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:47 pm

For each site in question, find the site's change password page. Ideally, when you click in one of the password fields on the page, we'll detect this and pop a generate password notification. You can use this to generate a new password, which will be filled into the site's password fields. Once you submit the form, ideally we'll also detect this and offer to change the password in the LastPass site.

Worst-case, you might have to use LastPass -> Tools -> Generate Secure Password to generate the password, paste it into the site manually, and then edit the LastPass site as well.

Drew
drew

Postby leushino » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks. Essentially, I've done this and for the most part it has worked with a few caveates. First off... some require the old password (which I type in) before you can generate the new. Now... when I initially set up LastPass, I imported all my old passwords. That means that the old password is still contained in the LastPass vault. Anyway... once I save the newly generated password I seemed to end up with two instances of the site in my LastPass Vault (the former password and the newly generated one). So... I deleted the former. That seems like an awful lot of work when I have several dozen sites with old passwords I want to change over. Any suggestions?
leushino

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 pm

leushino Wrote:Thanks. Essentially, I've done this and for the most part it has worked with a few caveates. First off... some require the old password (which I type in) before you can generate the new. Now... when I initially set up LastPass, I imported all my old passwords. That means that the old password is still contained in the LastPass vault. Anyway... once I save the newly generated password I seemed to end up with two instances of the site in my LastPass Vault (the former password and the newly generated one). So... I deleted the former. That seems like an awful lot of work when I have several dozen sites with old passwords I want to change over. Any suggestions?

The way it should work is when you then hit 'submit' when you're changing your password LastPass should prompt you about a password change, when you say yes the generated password will replace the one for your account and the generated entry would be automatically deleted -- we went a bit overboard though on ensuring that people never lost a generated password so there's definitely sites where you'll end up with your original entry and your generated password entry.
JoeSiegrist

Return to Windows Installer Questions